Thursday, November 17, 2005

My Favorite Eddie Match


For the first time in 5 years I have found myself NOT wanting to watch wrestling...

I have the last 4 years of pay-per-views on DVD which pretty much dominate my allotted television viewing time. But almost every one of them features Eddie Guerrero in a match somewhere.

I've been on and off depressed over this since last Sunday. This isn't the end of the world for me or anything, it's just something I haven't quite gotten over entirely yet. So watching wrestling just seems depressing to me right now. In an effort to try and get over it, I went through my PPV's and tried to find the one that I felt featured Eddie Guerrero's best match.

Judgement Day 2004: WWE Champ Eddie Guerrero vs. John "Bradshaw" Layfield

This was it. From start to finish this was a great Eddie match. He was quick, technical, funny, and had the crowd on his side from start to finish. The match ends in a disqualification, which allowed Eddie to retain the title, but the win technically went to JBL.

JBL cracked Eddie over the head with a chair, and for the remaining 20 minutes of the match Eddie POURED... and I mean POURED blood EVERYWHERE!!! For 20 minutes he painted the canvas of the ring with blood, the announce tables were covered in his blood, JBL was wearing it, and Eddie who was half out of it for a few minutes bursts back to life doing his Latino Heat dance in the middle of the ring, and floors JBL. The crowd went apeshit, and it was a fun match to watch. That's what Eddie did, he made fun matches. If someone were to ask me to show them the best match I own of Eddie Guererro, I would show them that match. So if you'd ever like to see it, I'd love to show it to you.

Watching this was hard for me, but it did help me.

I talked to Neil tonight. It was the first time I've talked to him since all of this happend. I kind of thought he wouldn't understand me being so upset over this, but I was wrong. He completely understood, and was really awesome about it. It was like he could read my mind, he knew exactly how I was feeling. He related it to when Daryl Kile of the St. Louis Cardinals passed away in his sleep. Neil took that very hard, and was at the first home game following the death, where they had a pre-game tribute. He said he was standing there crying through the whole thing. So he did know, and understood. That made me feel better.

They found Eddie's cause of death. Heart disease. It was a lingering effect of the abuse he put his body through years ago when he was addicted to drugs and alcohol. This hit home for me, in relation to my friend who's having similar problems. Who thinks he can do all the things he's doing to himself until his 30's, quit, and everything will be fine. Well, Eddie was 34 when he went clean, was 4 years sober, and still suffered for his past. I just hate where this is all going.

No comments:

Post a Comment