Wednesday, November 23, 2011

T3's Video Game Review: "Sonic Generations"


It’s been a long time since I’ve bought a video game.

I saw this in the store and was drawn in to the 2D side scroller aspect of the game.  I was never a fan of any of the 3D Sonic games. This game is a 50/50 hybrid of the classic 2D Sonic The Hedgehog style, and the 3D Sonic.

Each stage can be played 1 of 2 ways. ACT I which is the 2D version of the level, and ACT II which is the 3D Sonic version. Even having not been a fan of the 3D Sonic games I felt that this game took the best aspects of those games and used them to put together the best possible 3D Sonic experience.

The 2D versions of the levels are great, and in my opinion could be an entire game on it’s own. My personal favorite is The Chemical Plant Zone. So much so, that I love playing both the 2D and 3D versions of it.

Sega did release “Sonic The Hedgehog 4” which was an HD 2D side scroller which was fine, but the side scroller model in Sonic Generations is more refined, and is more of what I’d expect from a 2D side scroller.

The story is simple and not too involved, which given the nature of the game is just fine. I just want to play Sonic and really don’t need an elaborate storyline to go along with it.

You can customize your Sonic in the same way you might customize a car in a racing game. You get to purchase different skills with points you earn in levels and develop “skill sets”.

Speed increases, extra lives, various shields, and other abilities become options for you to equip your Sonic with.

There are tons of side missions and challenges that can open up more of the game to you, and offers plenty of replay value.

Like I said, it’s been a long time since I bought a video game and this was definitely a worthwhile purchase.

T3 Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment